One of the last module that I enabled for the Telecommute Job List site was the built in Search ( Google have not fully index the site yet).  And this is when I found out that GoDaddy does not  allow the creation of temporary tables.  The following is the error message:

user warning: Access denied for user *******@’%’ to database *******query: CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp_search_sids SELECT i.type, i.sid, SUM(i.score * t.count) AS relevance, COUNT(*) AS matches FROM search_index i INNER JOIN search_total t ON i.word = t.word INNER JOIN node n ON n.nid = i.sid INNER JOIN users u ON n.uid = u.uid WHERE n.status = 1 AND (i.word = ‘asp’) AND i.type = ‘node’ GROUP BY i.type, i.sid HAVING COUNT(*) >= 1 in /home/content/t/e/l/telecommutejob/html/
includes/database.mysql.inc on line 172.
user warning: Table ********.temp_search_sids’ doesn’t exist query: SELECT MAX(relevance) FROM temp_search_sids in /home/content/t/e/l/telecommutejob/html/
includes/database.mysql.inc on line 172.

This is the reply from the Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting Online Support. Unfortunately ‘Create Temporary Table’ is not supported in our databases. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Damn… Damn… Damn… The stupid thing is that I checked the restrictions on this page:  Do you restrict any features in MySQL 4.1/5.0?  and it mentions nothing about TEMPORARY table creations.

Oh well… after Googling for some time I found a solution for this here

I haven’t done too much testing yet but so far so good.

Advertisements

Dabbling with Drupal

May 10, 2007

After dabbling with Drupal a little bit while researching for a suitable CMS for the Northwest Hockey Sports Camp, I though it was time to dive right back in before I forgot what I had learned.

I decided to use the concepts I used for the Telecommute jobs on Craig’s list blog and expand on it.  The current blog only posts items that are posted in the Software category on Craig’s list, but there are many many more categories available.  So in the end, this new site will have multiple blogs, one for each category.

  • Accounting / Finance
  • Art / Media / Design
  • Internet Engineering
  • Legal / Paralegal
  • Medical / Healthcare
  • Real Estate
  • Sofware / QA / DBA
  • Systems / Networking
  • Technical Support
  • Web Design
  • Writing / Editing

I left out a few categories that I thought was filled with spam and not with real jobs.  The site is up and running now at http://www.telecommutejoblist.com .  It still needs to be tweaked some more but it is basically functional.

Here are some of my notes:

1. Register a Domain name.  I chose GoDaddy to register the domain name TelecommuteJobList.com.  Why GoDaddy?  It was relatively cheap at $8.95 per year.  I found many hosts out there who can beat that price, but I couldn’t find one who also includes LAMP or Windows/ASP service at no extra charge.  Usually they only offer to host static pages for free.  This was important to me since the purpose was to experiment with as many platforms as possible.

I do have some regrets with this decision as I ran into problems with GoDaddy (I will list on another post)

2. Create database.  Use the GoDaddy hosting control panel and create a MySQL database.  After creating the database, make sure to take note of the MySQL address.

3. Install Drupal. Go to http://drupal.org/ and get the Drupal 5.1 package.  Extract to a directory on your local drive and ftp on to the server.  When specifying the database connection information, go to the “Advance” tab and specify the MySQL server address.  The default is localhost and this will screw you up.

4. Browse to the domain, you will get the Drupal install screen with some instructions on how to get started.

The process was relatively simple.  Getting the site up and running took a couple of hours.  Configuring it took a few more.  Mainly searching for a nice template (I chose Pleroma) and modules to install (there are a gazillion of them)

Next… learning how to use the blog API to post from my Craig’s List Crawler, some Drupal shortfalls and GoDaddy problems and limitations.